Journey to Topaz-Journal Entries

Chapter 3: A Lonely Christmas, pages 19-29

I am Yuki’s father. As I write to my family how do I prepare myself to tell them they are taking me to an internment camp all the way in Montana. Rumors are spreading that our families will be taken to. How am I supposed to protect my family if I can’t even show my country i’m not the enemy?

Chapter 5:  Inside the Barbed Wire, pages 41-47

I am Mimi. My very good friend Yuki and her family are being taken by the government to a camp. My mom invited her to dinner for their last night before they had to leave. She made a sort of christmas dinner. Roast turkey with all the trimmings. Even though it was a good meal I could still tell my good friend Yuki was still sad about leaving. I really hope Yuk can write to me every single day. I will miss her very much.

Image result for journey to topaz

Chapter 6: Home is a Horse Stall, pages 49-58

I am Mr. Toda. I arrived at the camp yesterday to find that they put me in a small room with five other men. I am not too happy about it, but as I scanned the race tracks a saw a very familiar face that brought me some joy. Yuki. I had told her that I would visit her and her family later tonight. I did not pack well for this camp. When I went to go visit their Barracks I did not have a single coat to protect myself from the terrible cold winds. But it doesn’t matter because the small bag of peanuts I brought as a gift for Yuki made her very happy.

Chapter 11:  A Home in the Desert, pages 93-102

I am Emi. This long travel to Topaz has really put a damper on my emotions and physical well being. I don’t even want to play cards with Yuki. As we got off the bus we got our room before Yuki and her family, hopefully they can get the one right next to us. After eating in the mess hall my grandmother and I met up with Yuki and her mother and all together we walked together. As I look down on the ground for arrowheads I am beginning to be very dizzy.

Chapter 12:  Dust Storm, pages 103-109

I am Yuki. This isn’t fair, I am going to see my friend in the hospital no matter what the doctors had said. I snuck into Emi’s ward to give her a trilobite I had found as a “get well’ present. When I went to leave the hospital a massive dust storm arose. Do I stay in the hospital or make a run for it? I open the door and run for my life. When I finally get to my mama I told her what happened and she replied with I can’t go see Emi. She thinks she might have tuberculosis! I didn’t think people get that anymore.